- This event has passed.
April 22, 2017 @ 7:30 pm - 9:00 pm
World Premieres. Inspired by Chicago.
Hear 5 orchestral world premieres in one evening, all by Chicago composers. Each inspired by life in Chicago, these works were all specially commissioned for this event by the CCO.
In presenting this one-of-a-kind concert, the CCO teams up with the Chicago Composers’ Consortium (c3), a grassroots organization of composers dedicated to creating new music in Chicago.
- Kyong Mee Choi’s Water Bloom is inspired by Grant Park’s Buckingham Fountain.
- Timothy Johnson’s Logan Square: Tough Neighborhood, from From Jørgensen to Johnson is based on Johnson’s family history in the city of Chicago.
- Marth Horst’s Cloud Gate directly correlates to the structure of Kapoor’s sculpture in Millennium Park.
- Laura Schwendinger’s Océanie La Mer is inspired by a Matisse weaving in the collection of the Art Institute of Chicago.
- And Elizabeth Start’s With the Flow: Musings on the Chicago River takes inspiration from Smetana’s Moldau while referencing the Chicago River’s history with brief vignettes that reference locations along its path.